Imaging Prostate Cancer
Posted: Nov 01, 2018
POSTED: September 04, 2015
Here’s another prostate-healthy recipe from Gabrielle Myers, co-author of our popular New Prostate Cancer Nutrition Book. Over the next four weeks we’ll be posting recipes perfect for a prostate-healthy Thanksgiving.
Deep orange spiked with garnet pomegranate gems. Bright acid tang of the seeds tempered in roasted squash’s soft heat. This side dish pairs well with roasted chicken, baked tofu, or the traditional Thanksgiving feast. Pomegranates contain a significant amount of polyphenols, vitamins C and K, and fiber. Butternut squash adds high levels of potassium, B6, folate, and beta-carotene to the mix. If you cannot locate butternut, try acorn squash.
1 medium butternut squash, washed, cut in half, and seeded
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large pomegranate, washed
Salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rub the squash’s inside with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and place it upside-down on a roasting sheet or pan.
3. Cook the squash for about 35-40 minutes, or until soft to the touch, with no firmness. Ensure that the sides are cooked all the way through.
4. Open the pomegranate and place the seeds in a cup (remove any white coating that sticks to the seeds).
5. When the squash is cool enough to handle, but still warm, scoop out the inside and place the flesh in a deep pan.
6. Add olive oil and salt to taste. You may not use all of the olive oil I list in this recipe: add 1/4 cup, stir it into the puree, and see if the mix has a rich mouth feel. (I often add the entire 1/2 cup, because my motto is the more olive oil, the better!)
7. To create a decently smooth mixture, as you stir in the oil break up any clumps of squash.
8. Fold in the pomegranate seeds.
9. Gently heat up the puree; stir it occasionally to distribute the heat. This shouldn’t take too long, since the mix is already warm. Don’t heat the puree for too long: you don’t want to burst the pomegranate seeds.
10. Serve the puree in a warmed dish.
Purchase transcripts of Dr. Snuffy Myer’s videos.Buy Transcripts